Thursday, March 17, 2011

Bless my Asana

Last night was my first Yoga class. I was so excited about going that I came home, dragged out my workout clothes (that fit oh so much better than they used to!) got my fresh unused yoga pad and threw it over my shoulder and jumped on my bike, Roxie, and peddled down the steep hill to the rec center across the main road. Boy, did I fly!

Well, I got there almost 2 hours early! The park was filled with families and kids and ducks overstuffed with stale bread. I decided to cycle back to the store and wait it out there. All uphill. In traffic. I tell you, I have really become quite a fearless commuter on my little cruiser. I never thought I'd even consider riding outside my little neighborhood when I first got it a few years ago and look at me now. Can't help but feel a little proud these days.

I waited at the store for a few minutes then peddled back with my new bike lock I got at the dollar. It was windy!! When I got there I went to the small community room overlooking the pond and all the park. It really is a beautiful spot. The class remained small, there were only 5 of us including the instructor. She was really amazing. Just like you'd expect a yoga teacher to be: Small, quiet, ethereal, soft spoken and kind. We went thru poses seamlessly while learning what is called a 3 part breathing. It felt good to breathe so deep but with control and peace. She played gently sitar music. I felt my muscles at first tense become long and stretched luxuriously, my breath became easier although still deep and cleansing. At one point near the end of the session we laid on our backs completely relaxed and I felt such peace that when she explained that we could feel this way at all times and that 'life is good' i felt warm tears form in the corners of my eyes. There is respite in a chaotic world. And we hold the key to that peace. It was very comforting.

Well, I am hooked! Thanks Felicia!

After the lesson and wrestling with my new lock, I peddled back home in the dark and the wind was delicious on my sweaty skin and scalp. I always love riding at night the most. It's so quiet and I feel like a mosquito skating on the surface of a still pond when I ride so quietly. When I got home I had 2 small tacos of beans and brown rice and felt so energetic. I checked my calories for the day and realised I still had over 600 calories left for the day due to all the cycling and yoga I did that day! amazing. So I splurged on a big bowl of popcorn and slept soundly a few hours later.

This is now day 4 on the new meds. I don't even notice a thing now. I just don't have those horrifying jolts anymore. Thoughts come and pass thru me. The hard part has been not having a beer. I can see that I may have one or two this weekend, so I hope this doesn't mess me up. Also unfortunately my glucose level is stubbornly at the same level. It lingers between 240-275. If I don't see a change by next week I'm going to make a plea for insulin. The stress of being so high is the only downer of this week so far. Eating so little, working out so much, I feel like this has been the hardest series of maintanece i've ever had. Keep me in your thoughts.

This weekend is a good show at the Kess. Also saturday is our storytime. And MH's bday is somewhere around there too. I would like to make an appearance but not stay too long, I think the urge to drink would be too great. I find when I feel anxious I grab a drink. But who knows maybe I will feel ok without it.

And today? Dead. It's too pretty outside to go book shopping. I think i'll stay open till 8 and see if I catch anyone. Today I should be working on these taxes.. but it's too pretty outside to look at numbers.. bah.

No comments:

Post a Comment